Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Heaven Blade prop update

so, I began again on the Heaven Blade prop, and did a few things differently this time.

I checked the prototype, and the glue I had used is still not cured in some places!  That's what I get for using too much, and not taking the time to do it right.  I had to use my cell phone camera again for these pictures.  (I  really need to get a camera for myself!)

I will continue the construction method I first devised, a dowel spine and the blade made of two halves of polystyrene insulation.  As with the prototype, I used a dremel to route a channel for the spine, but I made it by running two passes right next to one another, ending up with a channel that was 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep.
Next, I ran a bead of glue down the middle of the channel and inserted the dowel rod into the channel.  I'm letting the bead of glue cure before I put the other half of the body on, to make sure that it cures all the way.  Here I've clamped it with the new clamps I bought.  I had to use come scrap material to extend the reach of the clamp jaws.

 Here is a close-up of the dowel in the channel.  I only used a small amount of glue, so hopefully it will be cured by tomorrow, and I can sandwich the pieces together Friday night., then on to shaping the blade and defining the edges, hilt and grip on Saturday!

That's all for now, I'll update more when I get more done!

No comments:

Post a Comment